Thursday, June 5, 2014

To Keep in Stock, or Not to Keep in Stock?

I do not own the rights to either of these photos, but am using them as an example that is relevant to this topic. Both of the dolls pictured above are both one in the same, only one is completely stock and the other is customized. Personally, I think they both look great! 

Earlier just today, while looking to See if There Were any new video uploads from any of my favorite Youtubers, I came across an unboxing video of Pullip IO by Thehollycopter. In the video,  IO is completely stock and then later near the end , she is shown re-wigged and redressed. I didn't think much of it, as there are many Pullip owners who customize their dolls to varying degrees, from changing out eye chips to doing a full custom faceup. When I scrolled down to read the comments, I was really shocked at some of the negative things people had said about the changes she had made ​​to her doll, some people going as far as saying that she had completely ruined the doll by giving her a different wig and not keeping her doll in its stock outfit! Stating your personal opinion is one thing, but being downright rude is another thing altogether.


I can totally understand why some people may not want to make any changes to their dolls and like them as they are; I myself have quite a few dolls in my own collection that I wouldn't even dream of touching. On the other hand, I also have a couple of dolls that I DO plan on making some slight customizations to eventually because * I * think they would be a big help in improving their overall look and make them more to my liking. It's nice to be allowed the option to customize dolls, and it's part of the fun of collecting Pullips, or any doll for that matter. It provides a creative outlet, and gives collectors a chance to express their own tastes and styles and create what in their eyes, is the perfect doll. It's also nice to appreciate a doll exactly the way it is without making any alterations to its appearance. Ultimately, it's all up to the doll owner's decision on what they do with their dolls, and it shouldn't matter to anyone else so long as that person is happy! It's best to just remember that everyone has different tastes and not put anyone down for something that they like.


Now that that's been said, what do you all think? Do you prefer to keep your dolls stock or do you like to customize? If you customize your dolls, do you only change a couple of things or do you make your dolls beyond recognition? What are your reasons for keeping your dolls stock / customizing? I'd love to know, so please feel free to comment and discuss!


No comments:

Post a Comment